Based in Calgary, Canada, Darren Hamman is a Senior Manager on ISN’s Health, Safety and Environmental Review and Verification Services (or RAVS) team. Darren has 15 years of Health and Safety Management experience in the United States and Canada. Prior to joining ISN, Darren worked in the Food and Agriculture industries. He has a BA in Sociology, and a Certificate in Health, Safety, and Environmental Processes. He is a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (or CRSP), and is a member of the Canadian Society of Safety Engineers and the Alberta Society of Health and Safety Professionals.
What is Best in Class Contractor Management One of the key issues facing SH&E professionals is the focus on global industry trends indicating a continued growth of outsourcing non‐core business activities to third‐party contractors, known as contractorization. Decades of data compiled by the International Association of Oil & Gas Producers on the Upstream Oil and Gas industry indicates that while employee work hours have doubled over the past 25 years, contractor work hours have more than quintupled. It remains the prime duty of the Owner to ensure that operations are undertaken in a safe and sustainable manner, and only qualified contractors are identified, selected and utilized throughout the life of a project. The challenge and opportunity lies in establishing a robust contractor management strategy to effectively mitigate risk exposures from this contractorization. The ten attributes listed below are the essential elements to making that happen. The key attributes of an effective, best-in-class contractor management systems are:
- Establish a clear communication strategy
- Designed to measure performance
- Incorporate a risk-ranking process
- Follow a three step due-diligence process
- Maintain an approved contractor list
- Establish consequences and an exit strategy
- Address subcontractor management
- Follow standardized and transparent guidelines
- Integrated with internal business processes
- Taking safety culture to the next level Drawing from more than 10 years of global experience working along 540+ Owners such as BP, Shell, NuStar and Valero and 69,000+ contracting companies on contractor management the presentation will focus on addressing each of these ten strategic elements. Attendees should obtain useful and actionable takeaways from the discussions helpful for expanding their knowledge and professional skills surrounding contractor management and enhancing their contractor management and health and safety improvement efforts for their jobsites.